Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Competition

“Look in the mirror…that’s your competition.” - Unknown

I am a Crossfit newbie. I’ve had 9 classes, and one left on my Groupon (bought New Year’s Day – of course). I like the idea of Crossfit. I like leaving and feeling strong. I’m not sure I’m sold enough to pay the price of my local gym, but it will always be an option.

What I do love about the gym I’ve been to has been that I’m not competing with the woman next to me, or the mother of three or the bulked up Marine. I’m competing with myself. Each class I am being challenged to out-lift, out-burpee, out-squat the Susan from the previous week. I can deadlift 135lbs now. I can do a better burpee and a deeper squat now. And two months from now my goal is to deadlift more, squat better and burpee like a badass. I put all this on “paper,” but I will never, not check out the person next to me and compare myself. I know my nature and human nature.

But maybe putting this “out there” will help me keep some of the focus on the real goal. To better myself. Not to beat anyone. Especially at an imagined competition that doesn’t exist.

No comments: